Common people mostly have fickle minds; they’re always guided by what they wish to believe, often for their advantage. When they’re worried, frightened and clueless about the near future they’re most vulnerable to doubt and conspiracy theories. The past six months people all over the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not really much because of the deadly effects of the virus compared to the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it has introduced its wake. They desperately have to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a hoax, it’s only a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is done and the social media as always helps it spread-at times considerably faster compared to the killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the reality that over 807 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only seniors with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that typically the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for many countries. However, facts also show that the dead includes young people too and anyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’chapters of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US that we won’t make an explanation here just to prevent vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here this writer got a social media forward giving a connect to a write-up by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. As we mentioned earlier plenty of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that merely a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action from the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a chain of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections as opposed to destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the basic premise itself: if that is so then this phenomenon must be occurring each year, and why then in 2010 ought to be so different! Governments will not need to have gone on a crisis drive to create more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some that we narrate below as arguments to break such types of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring plenty of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) when it comes to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful in keeping the infected numbers below 100,000 the nation remains fearing an additional outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to prevent its spread. Its aggression against India can also be explained as a part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million to date and remains on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to circumstances of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is to account fully for a death rate of over 14% (seen in several countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization keep on telling’lies’that the new Coronavirus is very dangerous that could probably stay for a lot more than couple of years and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to own accepted in the beginning this pandemic is the largest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the entire world keep on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly worse compared to the Great Depression? Specifically, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it has achieved in development so far.
5. Why is this type of mad rush all over the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the least this intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever that will be.
In the last couple of days new cases in India have already been rising at nearly 25000 per day with the only solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. Only at that crucial juncture we should not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to make a kill when it comes to profit. For example, if a link for a write-up with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets think of the sort of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.